Barnabas RE Day
On Tuesday we were visited by Jane from 'Barnabas in Schools' who came to work with the children on Respect, Resilience and Responsibility.
Focusing on stories from the Bible, the day allowed the children to explore:
- What are values and character?
- How do they form the people we are and the communities we belong to?
- How do values relate to school life both individually and corporately?
The day began with collective worship on the Creating Character theme for the whole school. Jane talked to the children about what a VIP is. Mrs Davis was very flattered that some children thought she was a VIP! We soon discovered that we are all VIPs, and that a job or status does not make us any more important than the next person.
Each class then had a workshop using the Bible stories of the feeding of the 5,000, Jonah and the whale, and the temptations of Jesus, to consider questions such as:
- How do we show respect for all people?
- What does respect look like in practice?
- What does it mean to be resilient?
- What does resilience look like in times of challenge?
- How do we take responsibility for our values and actions?
- What happens if we don’t take responsibility?
Cobalt Class also had the opportunity to discuss Christianity as a World Religion and explore how Christianity is lived out in other parts of the world.
The children all enjoyed their activities and storytelling and it was good to explore links between our 6 Rs and some Bible stories.